As you surely know, Seattle Schools are trying to save money by shutting, combining, moving schools (lawsuits permitting). The changes will affect our neighborhood:
- The Middle School Program at Meany School will be disbanded, and the students moved to Washington, Madrona and Alki Schools. (transition details here).
- Two programs will move to the Meany Building: Nova Alternative High School and the Secondary Bilingual Orientation Program (transition plans here).
- This week's Madison Park Times describes the changes.
- This CD News post describes an interesting "drug free schools" program and has comments from someone intimate with the problems of moving NOVA.
- Nova Alternative High School is moving from the Horace Mann building (near Garfield) where it has been since its inception. The school website describes the program much better than I can. There's also an official school website and a PTSA website. We will be meeting with school principal Mark Perry.
- The Secondary Bilingual Orientation Center also has an official website, its own informative website and a Friends of SBOC website (which describes the program). We will be meeting with principal Martin O'Callaghan.