- 6:30 PM: Meet at Miller Community Center / Playfield to celebrate our new field
- Watch Seattle University soccer clinic
- Watch Lacrosse demonstrations
- Participate (if you wish) in potluck organized by NOVA High School Students
- Enjoy FREE ice-cream, courtesy of Bluebird Homemade Ice Cream & Tea Room
- 7 PM: brief ceremony, speech by Councilmember Rasmussen, chair of Parks Committee
- watch NOVA students demonstrate "3 way soccer"
- field available for pick-up games till 10 PM
- Weather looks OK for Saturday evening (Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. North wind 6 to 9 mph becoming east southeast. )
- The details:
- Saturday, September 19th, 6:30 PM we celebrate the inauguration of our new playfield at Miller (330 - 19th Avenue East): here's a poster to share/print.
- The Capitol Hill Times has an article about the field and the event.
- Here's the City Press Release.
The students of NOVA alternative High School, which shares the Meany School building with the Secondary Bilingual Orientation Center (SBOC) have embraced the event, and are holding a potluck as part of the celebration, and invite you to bring a potluck dish to share (and suggest that it be an ample size, as the SBOC families who have been invited may be unfamiliar with the potluck concept!).
Parks Department translated the invitation into 5 languages for the SBOC familes (Oromo, Chinese, Amheric, Spanish and Vietnamese), and we hope that some of them will be able to attend, and that their tournament-winning soccer team will play on the field.
The evening will include:
- A welcome by Councilmember Rasmussen, chair of the Council Parks Committee
- The potluck!
- Ice-Cream, donated by Bluebird Homemade Ice Cream & Tea Room
- a soccer clinic presented by Seattle University Men’s Soccer. You can cheer the SU Redhawks on against Oregon State at 12:30 on Saturday at SU Championship Field located on the corner of E. Jefferson St and 13th Ave.
- a lacrosse demonstration presented by Northwest Women’s Lacrosse Association (NWWLA)
It will be a great chance for the neighborhood to meet the students, staff and parents of both schools, and members of the sports groups who share our playfield.
But wait, there's more!
Later in the evening (about 8:30?):
- NOVA students will demonstrate their unique collaborative sport: Three-Way Soccer. (pictures)
- SBOC teams will (we hope) demonstrate their soccer skills
- The playfield will be available till 10 PM for your pickup soccer games, frisbee or (presumably) lacrosse use!